Sweet, effervescent, and eye-wateringly spicy.
Makes one liter.
- 4 oz peeled and grated ginger
- 4 oz golden brown cane sugar
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1/8 tsp champagne yeast
- Bring sugar, ginger, and 3 cups cold water to a boil.
- Turn off heat, cover, and let steep for 1 hour.
- Strain mixture and add to a 1 liter plastic bottle.
- Add lime juice.
- Top off with cold water, leaving about 2″ of room at the top.
- Once the liquid is at room temperature, shake vigorously for 30 seconds and add 1/8 tsp champagne yeast.
- Leave the bottle in a dark, cool place for up to 48 hours (mine is usually ready in about 18). Squeeze the bottle periodically. When it’s quite firm, it’s ready. Move the ginger beer to the refrigerator and consume within a week.
- If the ginger beer goes flat, you should be able to leave the bottle out for a while. As the temperature rises the yeast will wake up and start producing more CO2.