I don't have a clay pot, so I use a dutch oven or pressure cooker instead.
Makes four servings.
- 1 1/2 lb pork shoulder or spare ribs cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 bird's eye chilis, sliced
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- Marinade pork in scallion, ginger, chili, fish sauce, and black pepper 2 to 4 hours.
- Melt sugar in a sauce pan, stirring constantly until you have a medium amber caramel. This is the only tricky part of the recipe. Don't burn the sugar!
- Kill the fire and add water, stirring to fully dissolve the caramel. It'll bubble quite a bit, so be careful.
- Add pork and any extra marinade to the caramel sauce.
- Simmer until the pork is fork-tender and has taken on a medium-dark color from the caramel sauce.
- Serve with sticky rice.